It’s been a rigid freezing week with wind chills making it feel like -27 degrees on some days. People have been warned that being outside for more than 10 minutes could cause frost bite or hypothermia. Everything from federal offices to hospital clinics were closed due to the weather conditions in Michigan. The kids had four consecutive snow days off.
While we have gloom of the days off from school and a detour in our schedules, there was also an opportunity to make time for each other in the moments present.
Some of my reflections this week:
- Life is all curves. Challenges and opportunities don’t come from a straight path to your goal. Embrace the moments.
- Take a step back to reflect on where you’ve come from. I was a stay-at-home mom who worked from home by the time I had my last kid. Last year I went back to work full-time and everything has changed since. This week reminded me of those times when I struggled to find meaning and purpose beyond those moments.
- Hug your kids longer. This is a no-brainer but the daily hustle and bustle can make the small moments whiz by.
- Enjoy the little things in life. This week we spent more time tapping into our spiritual activities such as praying together as a family.
- Keep up with your self care. Mothers often wear so many hats that it’s hard to keep up. With house work, child work, work work, the long hours and mental exhaustion can quickly catch up. Therefore don’t forget to put the kids to bed and enjoy a few moments to yourself. Everyday. Even for just a few minutes. (Set a time that works best for you.) Hang in there!
What are some of your reflections on winter days which put a pause on your plans?